How do you set an overload relay?
3. Thermal Overload Relay
- Min. Thermal Overload Relay setting = 70%x Full Load Current(Phase)
- Min. Thermal Overload Relay setting = 70%x4 = 3 Amp.
- Max. Thermal Overload Relay setting = 120%x Full Load Current(Phase)
- Max. Thermal Overload Relay setting = 120%x4 = 4 Amp.
How is overload setting calculated?
The overloads are determined using 125% of the FLA, 7A x 1.25 = 8.75A. The maximum allowable size for the overloads is 9.8A. The overloads can be sized at 140% of the FLA if the overloads trip at rated load or will not allow the motor to start, 7A x 1.4 = 9.8A.
What must be done before a motor overload can be reset?
the overload relay cannot be reset until the overload heater has cooled. The overload relay is reset by first turning the starter all the way off and then turning it back on. Overload relays will not trip due high over currents that last only a short amount of time.
Do all motors need overload protection?
EVERY motor needs overload protection of some type. Some small motors are impedance protected by design. Some motors can be overload protected by breakers or fuses.
Why is DOL starter used up 5 hp?
Direct-on-Line (DOL) Starter
This heavy current reduces as the motor accelerates to its rated speed. … For a large rating motor, ranging from 5 HP to 25 HP, oil immersed DOL starters are used which provides insulation against sparking on contact points and hence increases the life of starter.
How do you check motor overload?
Overload Protection Test:
- Measure the normal motor running current (i motor).
- Turn off the motor and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Calculate the following ratio: i (motor) / i (overload min FLA). …
- Set the overload to its minimum FLA and turn on the motor.
- Wait for the overload to trip.