Most often, this is from a car door or a screen door. The end of the finger may get a few cuts or a blood blister. Sometimes, the nail can be damaged. Broken bones are not common with this kind of injury.
Will Epsom salt help a smashed finger?
Epsom salt can help reduce pain and swelling. Soak your swollen fingertip for 15 to 20 minutes in warm or cool water mixed with Epsom salt.
What should I do if I think I’ve broken my finger?
Treatments for a broken finger or thumb
- try to straighten your finger – they’ll give you an injection of local anaesthetic to numb the pain.
- put your finger in a splint or cast, or strap it to another finger to keep it in position.
- give you a tetanus injection or antibiotics if there’s a cut to prevent infection.
How do you treat a smashed finger with blood under a nail?
To remove blood from under a nail:
- Straighten a paper clip, and heat the tip in a flame until it is red-hot.
- Place the tip of the paper clip on the nail and let it melt through. …
- Do not push or apply pressure on the paper clip. …
- Go slowly, and reheat the clip as necessary.